skip to content

You may have a specific learning difficulty but have not been diagnosed. How can the DRC help?

The Disability Resource Centre provides an advice and assessment service to students at the University of Cambridge on Specific Learning Difficulties (such as dyslexia).

You may have been referred to us via your Director of Studies or Tutor to be tested for a Specific Learning Difficulty. Alternatively, you may be concerned that you might have a specific learning difficulty and it is affecting your academic performance.

The Assessment Process

How do I get assessed?

Step 1 – make an appointment to meet an specialist Specific Learning Difficulty adviser.
In order to arrange this interview, please contact the DRC.

Step 2 – Meet the Adviser
The initial meeting:

  • lasts up to 1 hour
  • is an opportunity for you to discuss your difficulties
  • will give the Adviser an opportunity to recommend whether a full assessment for a specific learning difficulty is the next step

Step 3 – If your adviser recommends it, go for a full assessment

  • Make an appointment with a diagnostic assessor (such as an Educational Psychologist or specialist teacher).
  • Undergo a series of tests administered by the diagnostic assessor. This appointment could take up the best part of the day.
  • Pay the assessor about £400.
  • Receive a report within 21 working days of this meeting.

Step 4 – Meet your disability adviser to discuss the report

  • the findings of the report and get support in understanding what the diagnosis means
  • whether you should apply for Disabled Students Allowances to fund your support needs if eligible

Step 5 – Request exam access arrangements if your report recommends using a computer or extra time

  • send a copy of the report to your college Tutorial Office immediately
  • read the exam access arrangements website and be aware of the strict deadlines

Step 6  - Access support

  • Once funding is in place you can access Specialist Study Skills 1:1 tuition arranged through the DRC.

Are there any costs involved in getting assessed?

If you require assistance with this cost, please contact your college Tutorial Office as you may be eligible for a grant from the Access to Learning Fund (ALF).

The ALF is principally for 'Home' students but some other categories of student, including certain EU students who satisfy the residence requirements for statutory support, may be eligible. Further information regarding eligibility should be sought from College Tutors.

Further information about the Access to Learning Fund can be found on the Student Registry pages.

Students who do not meet the eligibility criteria for the Access to Learning Fund should approach their college to discuss what support might be available.