How to put your support requirements in place
International students may work with their Disability Adviser to access academic-related disability support, or simply fill in an application form for the International Disabled Students' Fund (IDS Fund). Academic related disability support may include:
- An independent Needs Assessment
- Specialist equipment you need for studying, for example computer software or a digital voice recorder
- Non-medical help, such as a note-taker or Specialist 1:1 study skills
- Extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability
Students and offer holders are encouraged to apply as early as possible so that any support requirements are in place for the beginning of term.
- Undergraduate students from the Republic of Ireland may be eligible for the Fund for Students with Disabilities. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an appointment with your disability adviser, who will need to make this application on your behalf.
In order to be eligible as an international student for support you must:
- Be a current registered student or a confirmed offer holder at the University of Cambridge, and be classed as an 'international student' (EU or Non-EU) for fees purposes
- Be ineligible for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)
- Be able to provide documentation of a diagnosed disability according to the Equality Act (2010)*, for example, a medical letter or specialist report in a certified English translation
- Agree to undergo an independent Needs Assessment, if required
*The Equality Act (2010) defines a 'disabled person' as 'someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term (over 12 months) adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities'.
IDS Application Form
The application form is available in the links on the right as a webform and as a PDF document. If you need an alternative format such as Braille please email email@example.com . Your Disability Adviser will be able to help you with your application, please contact us for further information.
There is no deadline for applications.
Terms of the funding
The University of Cambridge has implemented the International Disabled Students’ Fund in order to meet the support needs of international students under the Equality Act (2010). The IDS Fund panel meet on a rolling basis to consider applications.
- The DRC will acknowledge receipt of your application within 5 working days. Applications will be reviewed by the IDS Fund Panel, consisting of the DRC Manager and the student's Disability Adviser, to determine eligibility and whether there is a requirement for the applicant to attend a Needs Assessment.
- Once eligibility has been confirmed, applicants will be notified of the result of their application by the DRC by email, within two weeks of the decision being made.
- If the applicant requires a Needs Assessment, they will be informed of this by email and provided with contact details.
- Once the Needs Assessment has been completed, the Needs Assessor will provide the applicant and the DRC Manager with a copy of the report indicating the recommended support requirements (e.g. equipment, human support).
- The IDS Fund Panel will review the Needs Assessment Report and assess whether recommended support can be funded by the IDS Fund.
- The decision will then be communicated by email to the applicant by their Disability Adviser, who will provide the applicant with details of how their support will be established.
Applicants reserve the right to appeal any decision by the IDS Fund Panel. Appeals will be reviewed by the IDS Fund Appeal Panel, consisting of the DRC Office Manager, a member of the DRC Advisory Team (not the student's Disability Adviser), and an external adjudicator.