skip to content

Accessibility and Disability Resource Centre


You can apply to become an NMH at any time. To initiate the process, please complete the online form, which can be found here - Application Form

If you require this form in an alternative format, please contact the ADRC or phone 01223 332301.

After receiving your application, we will send you an acknowledgement. We only pursue applications when there is sufficient demand from students to recruit new NMHs. If there is sufficient demand, we may invite you to a short, informal interview with the Disability Support Co-ordinator at the ADRC.

You will need to bring the following items with you to the interview:

  • National Insurance Number (see below for further information on obtaining a National Insurance Number if you do not already have one)
  • P45 or P46
  • Passport
  • Any work permits or visas you require to work in the UK

After a successful interview we will contact your employer or academic supervisor and request a short reference.

Once you have been successful at interview and we have received all these documents you will be added to our pool of NMHs.

If you are recruited as a Mentor or Practical Assistant, you will need to apply for a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. This will be co-ordinated by the ADRC in conjunction with the University's Temporary Employment Service ( or 01223 (3)32348).

National Insurance Number

If you do not already have a National Insurance Number, you must apply for one as soon as you start working with us by contacting the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). The contact details of the Cambridge branch are:

Department of Work and Pensions
Cambridge Jobcentre Plus
Henry Giles House
85 Chesterton Road
Tel: 0845 600 0643 (8.00am - 6.00pm, Monday - Friday)

Please advise the Temporary Employment Service ( or 01223 (3)32348) when you have booked an appointment with the DWP and let them know your National Insurance Number as soon as you get it.

Employment and Study

Undergraduate students and those on one-year courses at Cambridge are not normally allowed to undertake any type of paid work during their period of study. The ADRC does not employ undergraduates as NMHs, except in exceptional circumstances with the prior permission of their Director of Studies and Senior Tutor.

A limited amount of academic-related work including NMH work is encouraged for postgraduate students, provided it does not interfere with their academic studies. Such work requires the prior approval of the student’s Supervisor and College Tutor. The University stipulates that no more than ten hours a week may be spent in such activities and some grant-awarding bodies only allow a maximum of six hours per week.

For further information please contact the Graduate Student Team via