Advice for new students

It’s natural to feel a little worried about moving away from home to start university.

Our Accessibility and Disability Resource Centre (ADRC) advisers are here to make the move easier and help you get the support you need with your studies.

If you're thinking of studying at Cambridge

Our undergraduate study website has information about support you can get when you:

If you’re a postgraduate student, there’s extra information on the postgraduate study website.

Before you start your course

Come along to an open day

Open days and events are a great way to find out more about the University and your course. You can meet students and staff and explore our buildings. Read about past welcome events we had in September 2023.

Join a welcome event

Welcome events take place every September. You can ask questions and learn about support that's available at Cambridge.

Tell us about your disability

You can tell us about your disability in our online Student Information Form, so that we can make sure you feel supported with your studies. This is sometimes known as disclosing your disability. You may also need to provide evidence of your diagnosis.

If you already told us about your disability in your UCAS application, one of our friendly advisers will be in touch. 

If you haven't told us about your disability yet, you can do this at any time.

Think about support you may need

We can recommend support while you're studying.

Find out about funding

You can apply for Disabled Students' Allowance if you're a UK home student. Other funding is available If you’re an international student. Find out about funding options.

When you start your course

Talk to an adviser

Once you start your course you can book an appointment with one of our advisers. They can provide advice and support. Find out who can support you.

Join a student group

There are many different groups and societies that all students can join through the Students Union or your College.

The Disabled Students’ Campaign represents disabled students at Cambridge. They organise events and run online communities where you can get together with other disabled students.

Other disabled student groups at Cambridge include:

  • ASC peer group for students with autism. They meet online every Thursday during term time, 1pm to 2pm, and in person every Friday during term time, 1pm to 2pm. Get in touch with us to find out more.
  • Facebook social group for students with ADHD. Group members are all anonymous. To join the group, add Joyn C U Grouppe as a friend and one of the members will invite you to the group.