skip to content

Disability Resource Centre


You have been offered a place to study at Cambridge. What next?

All students who disclose a disability on application will be emailed by the DRC between March and July, asking for more information. Engaging with the DRC before you get your results will make for an easier transition into student life. If you have an offer but haven’t disclosed on application, you can disclose at any time.

What should you do now?

  1. Tell us about your support requirements
    The online Student Information Form  is designed to give the disability advisers the information they need to start to put your support into place.  You can upload supporting evidence. It also asks you to consider who you are willing to disclose information about your support requirements to. 

  2. How to put your support requirements in place
    The earlier you can contact us about your support requirements the better. Cambridge terms are very short so the DRC works with students to have support in place from the beginning of term wherever possible.  Please note that late disclosure will have an impact on the ability of the DRC to determine support requirements in time for the start of term.
If you are a UK National:
If you fill in your Student Information Form giving as much information as possible then this will assist your Disability Adviser with determining what support the University of Cambridge can offer. There is further information here and on the link on the right about the Non-Medical Help the University offers: 

You may also apply for Disabled Students Allowances (DSAs) for assistance with equipment, software and travel, or Non Medical Help not covered through the University. See the Disabled Students' Allowances page  for more information depending on which funding body you are under.

If you are an EU or International student:
For information on how to put your support requirements in place see
  1. Undertake a dyslexia assessment if required.
  2. Talk to your Disability Adviser and College
    Where required, your Disability Adviser may contact you to arrange a pre-arrival visit or support meeting. The support meeting can be arranged with you, a DRC adviser and a representative from your College (usually your Tutor and/or Director of Studies).

  3. Sign up for a Transitional Event
    This September there will be three transition events for incoming disabled students. You have declared your disability on application or through a College disclosure form, you will be emailed about these events or you can check the webpage. These events are designed to make your transition into student life at Cambridge easier, with talks from Senior Tutors, current students, library and counselling staff and others.

  4. Consider exam access arrangements
    Though this may seem early, it is also worth considering if you will need adjustments in order to take exams at Cambridge. If you previously received access arrangements, such as extra time or the use of a word processor, and would like to continue with these, then please see the Exam Access Arrangements page for details of the process for applying for these.

  5. If you are a graduate student read the Code of Practice for Graduate Students