skip to content

Accessibility and Disability Resource Centre


How to put your support requirements in place

If you already know what your support requirements are, see below to find out what you need to do for them to be put into place. Your adviser can help with any applications, if necessary.

If you do not know, or are unsure, what support may be helpful to you in your academic work, or which funds you may be eligible for, then it may be best to have an appointment with your Disability Adviser to discuss this. Contact us to make an appointment or some students may find they have access to making an appointment with their Adviser through the Moodle course 'ADRC Appointments'. You may find that much of the discussion can be over the phone, email, or via Skype if you are not currently in Cambridge.


Human support (also known as Non-Medical Help (NMH))

The University of Cambridge provides the following NMH roles from 2016-17:

Through the Accessibility and Disability Resource Centre:

  • Scribe
  • Proof Reader/text checker
  • Reader
  • Study Assistant
  • Note Taker
  • Specialist Transcription Services
  • Specialist Mentor
  • Specialist One to One Study Skills Support

Through your College or Department:

  • Examination Support Worker
  • Practical Support Assistant
  • Library Support Assistant
  • Workshop / Laboratory Assistant

To apply for this support we recommend that you discuss it with your Disability Adviser, providing medical or other supporting evidence and filling out a Student Information Form ahead of your appointment. For further information see the Human Support page.

The fund for this support is called the Reasonable Adjustment Fund (RAF).

Other Non-Medical Help (NMH) roles:

The following Non-Medical Help (NMH) roles are provided through Disabled Students Allowances from your funding body:

  • Sighted Guides, Mobility Trainer, BSL Interpreters, AT Trainers, Electronic Note-takers, Support workers for Deaf students.

Other support

If you require computer hardware or assistive technology (such as supportive software or hardware), then you will need to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) from the relevant funding body. You will be required to pay the first £200 of any computer equipment. There are hardship funds which you can apply to for help in covering the £200, though these are means tested and not automatic. For further details on funding to help pay for this initial cost, please contact your College and go to

You may also need to apply for DSAs if you need support for travel or specialist ergonomic equipment. If you require support filling out the application then the ADRC can support you. See the link on the right for information about applying for Disabled Students Allowances